Buggy Bar Build Book
Release 1.1.0, 2020-11-08
Chapter 1 Overview
This document describes how to build a Buggy Bar. The Buggy Bar is a kite control bar designed by and for Kite Buggiers. This bar is targeted specifically at non-jumping land-kiting with a focus on high function and ease of use to keep the flier safe and focused on piloting. This design is released under a Creative Commons license to allow anyone to use the design to build the bar for personal use or resale.
1.1 Bill of materials
- 1 kite control bar: 17" - 20" between the steering lines; a rimless, circular trimline borehole on the kite-side of the bar; a deeply beveled cut left and right of the trimline borehole on the pilot-side of the bar.
- 1 CL826-11AN AERO CLEAT FOR 4-6MM ROPES - HARD ANODISED
- 2510mm Samson AmSteel-Blue Single Braid Line Diameter: 5/32" (4mm)
- 4910mm Ultrex 12 1/16"
- 310mm Samson Ropes Amsteel Blue AS78 Line: 7/64" (2.5mm)
- 1 Small Stopper Ball Green ~5/32" ID, 16-18mm OD
- 1 Medium Stopper Ball Green ~1/4" ID, 25-32mm OD
- 1 Separation Block v2 6mm trimline bore release 1.4.2
- 1 Cleat Bead release 1.4.2
- 1 Chickenloop Handle
- 55mm x 55mm square of 0.025" thick 430 stainless steel sheet.
- Two 2" long, 1/8" cotter pin
- 40mm of 1/2" OD vinyl tubing
- ~260mm of 2mm bungee
- 3/8" diameter bead or 1/2" of 1/2" vinyl tubing
- ~39mm of 0.102" Diameter 304 Stainless Steel hardened wire
1.2 Tools required
- Razor blade or other very sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Short wire fid (~150mm)
- Long wire fid (~850mm)
- Cyanoacrylate glue (preferrable thin)
- Cyanoacrylate accelerant (optional)
- Metric tape measure
- Sewing machine with a large needle and high-strength polyester thread, preferably V-46 Dabond 2000 UVR Polyester thread
- A modified presser foot with a 1mm-wide groove aligned with the needle.
- Rubber mallet
- Bench vise with wooden jaws or other means of bending 0.025 metal sheet
- Two strong spring clips
- 2m long stick and some scrap line to place the flag line under tension
- Adjustable wrench for line stretching
- 5/32" drill bit
- 1/16" drill bit